Collect materials for learning games.
Involve your child in matching activities.
Have fun as you play color games with your child.
Play “shapes” and “sizes” games with your child.
Cut out a larger circle, square and triangle from paper grocery sacks. Help your child cut smaller circles, squares and triangles from construction paper. Suggest that your child paste all the small circles on the large circle, the small squares on the large square and the small triangles on the large triangle. Your child may want to add drawings to the creation.
Websites for more information:
Activities you can do with your child:
· Find things that begin with the letter “K”
· Practice the “ABC” song.
· Go outside and play “Simon Says” and focus on exercise activities. (Hopping, Running, Touching Toes)
· Count from 1 to 10, or as high as your child can go.
· Look for things that are black all week long.
· Find things around the house that are square, circular, or triangular.
· Give your child a ball and practice directions such as “Put the ball under your chin.”
· Name words that rhyme with “can”.
· Look through old magazines and cut out circles, squares, and rectangles.
· Help your child write their name using sidewalk chalk.
· Read and act out a story like “Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed”.
· After listening to a story, have your child tell you what happened first, next, and last.
· Play a game together such as “Memory” or “Go Fish”.
· Practice tying your shoes.
· Read with your child “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See?”
Books suggestions for four & five year olds:
A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni
Circles, Triangles and Squares by Tana Hoban
My Very First Book of Shapes by Eric Carle
Mouse Paint by Ellen Stohl Walsh
Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschka
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.